Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chapter 14

14-1: Researching Running Processes

I used the Task Manager to find a list of the running processes. I then booted my PC in safe mode, went to Task Manager to open the list of running processes.
Normal Mode

Safe Mode



Many of the host processes for Windows Service did not run in safe mode.

14-2: Monitoring Startup Items with WinPatrol

1. I typed MSconfig in the command prompt and disabled the non-Windows startup items. I then restarted my computer.

2. I downloaded WinPatrol from www.winpatrol.com.


3. I returned to MSconfig in the control panel and enabled the startup programs I had disabled in step one.

4. Yes, all of the startup programs are able to start.

This is the dialog box that opens.

14-3: Practicing Launching Programs at Startup

1. I clicked on START and chose SCHEDULED PATHS, went to ACTION, then to CREATE TASK. I chose to have notebook open when a user logs on.

2. Go from START to PROGRAMS, right click STARTUP and select OPEN. I pasted the command prompt in the STARTUP folder.

3. Both notepad and the command prompt launched when I rebooted without any errors.

4. I removed the notepad and command prompt from the list of startup programs.

14-5: Editing and Restoring the Registry

This assignment is for Vista, and we have non-authenticated versions of Windows 7, so the directions in the book don't work. Maybe, just maybe, we should have downloaded legitimate copies of Vista or XP since this book was written before Windows 7 was released.

14-6: Using the Microsoft Management Console

Click on the START button, type mmc in the run box and hit enter.


Click the ACTIONS button and select Add/Remove snap-in. I added the Device Manager and Event Viewer. Save it when your done. This is what the shortcut icon of my console looks like on my desktop.


No comments:

Post a Comment